Omur Celmanbet consults on complex litigation matters and regulatory proceedings involving healthcare, antitrust, intellectual property, consumer fraud and product liability issues, and tax controversy.
In addition to healthcare, Dr. Celmanbet’s experience spans numerous industries, notably agriculture, automotive parts, chemicals, electronics, medical devices, online advertising, pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, and social media. As a consulting expert, she works with clients in all phases of the litigation process, and supports testifying experts through discovery, deposition, and trial.
Dr. Celmanbet consults on competition and other matters involving health insurers and providers. Her recent experience includes:
- Leading economic analyses in numerous provider mergers and merger investigations before the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), including USA v. Cabell Huntington Hospital Inc. and St. Mary’s Medical Center Inc.
- Addressing questions of common proof, common impact, and ascertainability in class actions, including evaluating alleged harm resulting from changes in the healthcare benefits of a proposed class of retirees
- Analyzing sampling, liability, and damages issues in payor-provider payment disputes, including assessing usual, customary, and reasonable rates for out-of-network services and evaluating alleged damages in contract disputes between hospital systems and payors
- Conducting statistical analyses of inpatient admission practices
Antitrust and competition
Dr. Celmanbet has assessed class certification, liability, and damages in a range of complex antitrust matters. Her expertise includes:
- Analyzing allegations of price fixing, bid rigging, supply restrictions, and market manipulation
- Addressing issues related to alleged exclusionary conduct and monopolization
- Consulting to merging parties in merger investigations, including preparing white paper analyses in several industries, such as agriculture and automotive products
Dr. Celmanbet applies economic analyses to assess damages in intellectual property disputes. She has substantial experience quantifying patent infringement damages, and particularly in estimating lost profits and reasonable royalties. Across a range of matters, Dr. Celmanbet has assessed apportionment issues and evaluated alleged misappropriation of trade secrets and trade dress infringement. She has also analyzed issues of irreparable harm and commercial success.
Consumer fraud and product liability class actions
Dr. Celmanbet has addressed class certification issues related to alleged false advertising and misrepresentation. In these contexts, her experience includes analyses of sales and pricing data, consumer decision-making, and purchasing behavior.
Dr. Celmanbet has experience with all stages of transfer pricing disputes. She has analyzed economic issues that arise when technology assets interact with a company’s other assets, and how specific company dynamics, such as at platform companies, can affect those interactions.
Dr. Celmanbet coauthored “Assessing Health Data Privacy Damages during a Pandemic,” a Law360 article that discusses how increased telehealth and contact tracing could open the door to class actions related to data privacy and data breaches.
Prior to joining Cornerstone Research, Dr. Celmanbet taught economics at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.