Matt Osborn has more than a decade of experience with matters involving financial markets, financial institutions, and corporate finance transactions. Dr. Osborn specializes in issues related to business valuation, financial market structures, financial instruments, trading strategies, and alleged securities fraud. He supports academic and industry experts in all phases of litigation and regulatory matters, including at trial.
Dr. Osborn’s experience includes:
Valuation and corporate finance transactions
- Analyzing a solar energy company’s solvency, financial position, and access to capital markets independent from a pending M&A transaction
- Assessing fair market value for large-scale wind energy facilities
- Estimating the valuation impact of an alleged material adverse change (MAC) in a target company’s business during a pending M&A transaction
- Evaluating valuation analysis conducted in support of a fairness opinion for a tender offer
Financial institutions and markets
- Analyzing financial market structures, central clearing arrangements, and prime brokerage services for an antitrust matter involving stock lending
- On behalf of a major financial institution, analyzing trading in interest rate derivatives with a focus on alleged manipulation of LIBOR and other global financial benchmarks
- Assessing trade acceptance practices of liquidity providers in FX markets
- Evaluating trader conduct, including allegations of spoofing, using detailed market order book data
- Examining price impact, market efficiency, loss causation, and damages in 10b-5 securities litigation
- Analyzing intra-day security price movements and efficiency of trading across multiple exchanges
- Assessing investor demand for a large IPO in Section 11 securities litigation
Dr. Osborn also conducts empirical research on topics related to corporate finance, financial intermediation, and bankruptcy. His research has been published in the Journal of Financial & Quantitative Analysis.
Prior to joining Cornerstone Research, Dr. Osborn consulted on litigation and regulatory matters involving credit markets and antitrust issues.
In re Tesla Motors Inc. Stockholder Litigation
Cornerstone Research Promotes Four to Principal in Boston, Chicago, and Washington
Axiom Investment Advisors LLC et al. v. Deutsche Bank AG
Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) v. Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation et al.