Sara Champion provides economic analysis and applies advanced statistical techniques to complex business litigation. Dr. Champion leads teams to address class certification, liability, and damages issues, often analyzing large, proprietary datasets. Specializing in labor, employment, and antitrust and competition matters, she has particular expertise in healthcare and education. Dr. Champion’s industry experience also includes agriculture, banking, consumer products, pharmaceuticals, and technology.
Labor, employment, and discrimination
Dr. Champion has extensive experience with high-profile labor and employment matters involving class certification, compensation, and allegations of discrimination and monopsony power. Her recent work includes:
- Providing economic and statistical support from early discovery phase through trial in Students for Fair Admissions Inc. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College et al.
- Consulting with educational institutions to model their admissions processes and assess the role of race in admissions
- Estimating damages in a case involving alleged gender discrimination
Antitrust and competition
Dr. Champion analyzes class certification, liability, and damages issues in antitrust and competition matters, including:
- Assessing no-poach allegations in matters related to quick-service restaurant (QSR) workers at McDonald’s and Jimmy John’s franchises
- Analyzing no-solicit and no-hire allegations in multiple matters involving alleged collusion to not compete for healthcare workers
- Assessing effect of an alleged recruiting and hiring conspiracy between two tech firms in a Department of Justice investigation
- Evaluating alleged collusion and price fixing in Southeastern Milk Antitrust Litigation
- Addressing market definition and market power related to alleged monopoly pricing of electronic products
Healthcare and life sciences
Dr. Champion has experience with False Claims Act (FCA) issues, including reimbursement-related disputes. She has also addressed competition issues arising in the healthcare sector, notably those involving health insurance providers and pharmaceutical companies. Representative work includes:
- Assessing allegations of fraudulent pricing and anticompetitive conduct brought against pharmaceutical companies
- Evaluating the competitive impact of proposed divestiture in U.S. v. Aetna/Humana
- Analyzing the competitive impact of alleged reverse payment settlement agreements between pharmaceutical manufacturers
Consumer fraud and product liability
Across a diverse range of cases, Dr. Champion has consulted on alleged consumer fraud, product liability, and general damages issues. Her expertise includes:
- Supporting class certification, damages, and education experts in multiple matters alleging that universities breached their contract with students when switching to remote education during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Performing econometric analysis, including critiquing conjoint survey data and modeling consumer preferences, in the bellwether consumer class action In re Whirlpool Front-Loading Washer Products Liability Litigation
- Estimating damages for high-profile cases involving consumer fraud allegations in the banking industry
Prior to joining Cornerstone Research, Dr. Champion was an economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. She has also taught undergraduate courses in statistics.
50th Annual Conference on International Antitrust Law and Policy, and Antitrust Economics Workshop
No-Poach Clauses in QSR Litigation
Students for Fair Admissions Inc. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College et al.
Allegations of “No-Poach” Hiring Agreement Between Tech Firms
Cornerstone Research Announces Promotions to Senior Vice President and Principal
Proposed Merger of Aetna and Humana Enjoined
Southeastern Milk Antitrust Litigation
In re Whirlpool Corp. Front-Loading Washer Products Liability Litigation
- No-Poach Clauses in QSR Litigation
- Students for Fair Admissions Inc. v. President and Fellows of Harvard College et al.
- Allegations of “No-Poach” Hiring Agreement Between Tech Firms
- Proposed Merger of Aetna and Humana Enjoined
- Southeastern Milk Antitrust Litigation
- In re Whirlpool Corp. Front-Loading Washer Products Liability Litigation
- “Emerging Competition Issues in Biologics,” Antitrust Health Care Chronicle, July 2013