Matthew Lynde heads the firm’s intellectual property (IP) practice and provides expert testimony and consulting in applied economics. His work covers a range of cases, including IP, antitrust and competition, securities litigation, and breach of contract.
Dr. Lynde’s expert testimony has been accepted in domestic and international courts, tribunals, and arbitration panels in more than one hundred instances; and his work as a consultant and educator spans a range of IP portfolio and valuation issues. These matters have mainly been in high-tech industries, such as computer and telecommunications hardware and software, medical and military devices, and pharmaceutical and biotech products. Dr. Lynde’s testimony includes the calculation of reasonable and nondiscriminatory (RAND) royalties for standard essential patents in Microsoft v. Motorola and other high-profile cases. He also consults with high-tech clients regarding IP valuation matters.
Among the other significant cases in which Dr. Lynde has testified are:
- Affymetrix, Inc. v. Illumina Inc.
- Apple Inc. v. Amazon.com Inc. et al.
- Bid for Position LLC v. Google
- In re Innovatio IP Ventures LLC Patent Litigation
- Johnson & Johnson Vision Care Inc. v. CIBA Vision Corporation
- Lumileds LLC v. Elec-Tech International Co. Ltd. et al.
- Medivation Inc. v. The Regents of the University of California et al.
- Research Corporation Technologies Inc. v. Microsoft Corporation
- Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH v. Genentech Inc and Biogen Idec Inc.
- Shuffle Tech International LLC et al. v. Scientific Games Corp. et al.
Dr. Lynde joined Cornerstone Research in 2002 and has served as head of the San Francisco office. He has more than thirty-five years of experience as an applied economist in government, academic, and commercial environments. The National Law Journal named Dr. Lynde as a trailblazer in the field of intellectual property. He has been recognized multiple times by the IAM Patent 1000 as a leading U.S. expert on patent issues.
Dr. Lynde originally trained in electrical engineering at the University of California, Berkeley. Prior to joining Cornerstone Research, he was a professor at City University of New York and a partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers, heading up that firm’s Silicon Valley intellectual property practice.
2023 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
2022 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
2021 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
2020 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
2019 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
Lumileds LLC v. Elec-Tech International Co. Ltd. et al.
Shuffle Tech International LLC et al. v. Scientific Games Corp. et al.
2018 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals Highlights Cornerstone Research Experts
- 2023 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
- 2022 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
- 2021 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
- 2020 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
- 2019 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals
- 2018 IAM Guide to Leading Patent Professionals Highlights Cornerstone Research Experts
- 2017 IAM Guide Highlights Cornerstone Research Patent Professionals
- Matthew Lynde Named Intellectual Property Trailblazer by National Law Journal