Paul Gompers provides expert testimony in securities and valuation cases in a variety of industries. He has addressed issues of market efficiency, the valuation of public and private companies, factors affecting public company securities prices, the custom and practice of venture capital and private equity organizations, as well as the terms and conditions of employment agreements at entrepreneurial firms. He has served as an expert witness in several high-profile cases, including Private Equity Antitrust Litigation, IBEW Local 90 Pension Fund et al. v. Deutsche Bank AG et al., and Pao v. Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers LLC.
Professor Gompers’s research focuses on the structure, governance, and performance of private equity funds; sources of financing, incentive design, and performance of private firms; and long-run performance evaluation for newly public companies. His work on private equity funds has examined the relationship between general partners and their portfolio companies, as well as the relationship between institutional investors and private equity fund managers. Additionally, Professor Gompers has examined the relationship of corporate governance and firm performance as well as the role that institutional investors play in public equity markets.
He was a director of research at the Harvard Business School for nine years, currently serves as faculty chair of the M.B.A. Elective Curriculum, and as a research associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research. He also has served as a consultant, board member, or advisor to numerous companies, investment banks, private equity funds, and venture capital firms. Professor Gompers has coauthored several books and has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed finance and economics journals. He is an associate editor and referee for a number of leading academic journals.
Post-Merger Appraisal Trial Win
IRS Transfer Pricing Dispute
Assessing Putative Damages Attributable to a Third-Party Service Provider
Hsu et al. v. Puma Biotechnology Inc. et al.
Private Equity Antitrust Litigation
Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) v. Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation et al.
Facebook Inc. IPO Securities and Derivative Litigation
Novack v. GSI Commerce Inc. et al.
- Post-Merger Appraisal Trial Win
- IRS Transfer Pricing Dispute
- Assessing Putative Damages Attributable to a Third-Party Service Provider
- Hsu et al. v. Puma Biotechnology Inc. et al.
- Private Equity Antitrust Litigation
- Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) v. Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation et al.
- Facebook Inc. IPO Securities and Derivative Litigation
- Novack v. GSI Commerce Inc. et al.
- IBEW Local 90 Pension Fund et al. v. Deutsche Bank AG et al.
- Janet Baker et al. v. Goldman, Sachs & Co. et al.
- “Fair Value” Appraisal of Minority Shares Held by Hedge Fund
- Privatization of a Mexican Bank
- In re Northfield Laboratories, Inc., Securities Litigation
- Belo Corporation Securities Class Action
- U.K. Financial Services Information Technology Dispute
- SEC v. Biopure Corporation
- Doft & Co. v. Travelocity.com Inc.
- Monona Wire Corp. v. Code, Hennessey & Simmons
- Richard Bell et al. v. Ascendant Solutions, Inc. et al.
- Dollar General Corporation Shareholder Litigation