Kostis Hatzitaskos coheads Cornerstone Research’s antitrust and competition practice and serves on the firm’s executive committee. Dr. Hatzitaskos focuses on merger investigations, as well as antitrust litigation matters involving allegations of collusion, vertical restraints, and other allegedly anticompetitive behavior. For five consecutive years, Who’s Who Legal recognized Dr. Hatzitaskos as a Future Leader in the competition field; he has since been named as a Global Leader among competition economists.
Dr. Hatzitaskos was the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC’s) expert in its successful challenge to the proposed IQVIA/Propel Media merger. He has also had leading roles on multiple cases that Global Competition Review has recognized with its Matter of the Year awards. These include Amazon/MGM, Epic v. Apple, T-Mobile/Sprint, and Disney/Fox.
Dr. Hatzitaskos’ industry experience includes distribution, enterprise and consumer information technology, entertainment, financial services, food and agriculture, healthcare, health insurance, high-tech consumer products, pharmaceuticals, retail industries, renewable energy, semiconductors, shipping, telecommunications, and video games.
Antitrust merger reviews
Dr. Hatzitaskos supports clients and experts in all phases of merger review. On behalf of government agencies, merging parties, and third parties, he has consulted on numerous high-profile matters, including many that reached the litigation phase.
Representative cases include leading roles for merging parties in Meta/Kustomer, Amazon/MGM, T-Mobile/Sprint, Disney/Fox, Cigna/ExpressScripts, and Sysco/US Foods. On behalf of the government, Dr. Hatzitaskos has testified for the FTC in IQVIA/Propel Media and held leading roles in Aetna/Humana, Wilhelmsen/Drew, Methodist/St. Francis, US Foods/SGA, and Ball/Rexam, among others.
Antitrust and competition
Dr. Hatzitaskos has analyzed class certification, liability, and damages issues in high-profile competition matters. His expertise includes cases alleging cartel behavior, collusion, exclusionary conduct, anticompetitive bundling, price fixing, price manipulation, monopolization, and monopsonization.
Dr. Hatzitaskos has worked on a range of intellectual property matters. He led a team supporting Dr. Matthew Lynde in the landmark Microsoft v. Motorola trial, which addressed the determination of reasonable and nondiscriminatory (RAND) royalty rates. He has analyzed alleged patent infringement cases involving smartphones and conducted damages analysis in alleged copyright infringement matters.
Dr. Hatzitaskos has coauthored many publications on merger enforcement, economic methods, and the role of experts in antitrust and competition matters, including chapters in reference books and handbooks published by the Section of Antitrust Law of the American Bar Association (ABA). He currently serves on the editorial board of the ABA’s Antitrust Source.
A regular speaker and moderator at specialist and academic conferences, Dr. Hatzitaskos has participated in panels at Stanford, Fordham, Northwestern, and George Washington Universities.
2023 Merger Guidelines: Entrenchment, Extension, and Ecosystems
Cornerstone Research Named Among 2024 Outstanding Global Economic Consultancies
FTC v. IQVIA Holdings Inc. et al.
WWL: Competition Global Leaders and Consulting Experts 2023
Cornerstone Research Announces Promotions to Senior Vice President
Antitrust Economics at a Time of Upheaval: Recent Competition Policy Cases on Two Continents
Antitrust West Coast 2023
Chris Lau and Joe Podwol Join Cornerstone Research
- FTC v. IQVIA Holdings Inc. et al.
- United States v. Bertelsmann Se & Co. KGaA et al.
- EFN West Palm Motor Sales LLC v. Hyundai Motor America Corp. et al.
- In re China International Marine Containers Group and Maersk Container Industry
- Meta/Kustomer Merger
- In the Matter of Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare
- In the Matter of US Foods and Services Group of America
- In the Matter of Walgreens Boots Alliance and Rite Aid
- In the Matter of Ball Corporation and Rexam PLC
- Allegations of “No-Poach” Hiring Agreement Between Tech Firms
- T-Mobile/Sprint Merger Approved
- Cigna’s Acquisition of Express Scripts
- Walt Disney Company’s Acquisition of 21st Century Fox Film and TV Studios and Certain Cable Networks
- Commercial Metals Company’s Acquisition of Certain Assets from Gerdau S.A.
- FTC v. Wilhelmsen et al.
- Analog Devices’ Acquisition of Linear Technology Corporation
- Proposed Merger of Aetna and Humana Enjoined
- Southeastern Milk Antitrust Litigation
- Microsoft Corporation v. Motorola Mobility, Inc. et al.
- Intel–McAfee Merger